The ideal course for non-native English teachers who need to either refresh or upskill their English language teaching techniques. Our course blends theory and practice in ELT using lecture format and practical activities based on Communicative Language Teaching (CLT) methodology. This course also covers all the language skills - speaking, listening, reading and writing as well as pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar activities. Throughout the course, participants are encouraged to reflect on their own practice, consider alternative practices and try out a variety of classroom activities to make language learning more interesting.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
This course is of significant benefit to English language teachers who:
- need to improve their current General English language levels
- wish refresh their language teaching skills and use of technology in their classes
- wish to share ideas on best practice methodologies, including assessment, with colleagues from across Europe thereby improving overall English language teaching in their schools and, as a result, the learner outcomes for their students.
The objectives of this 2-week English Language Training + Modern Methodology are:
- to develop and consolidate participants’ own language skills
- to enhance communication in English between teachers and students
- to familiarise participants with key issues in English language teaching and introduce a range of activities designed to create a dynamic language classroom
- to establish contacts between teachers from a variety of European backgrounds and facilitate future networking among these professionals.
- to promote awareness of contemporary Ireland
- to produce high-quality learning outcomes for participants thereby re-enforcing the capacity and international scope of their schools
In the forst week classes cover all the language skills – speaking, listening, reading and writing as well as pronunciation, vocabulary and grammar activities. Class work includes individual, pair and group work, discussions, debates, project work, presentations, written tasks and listening exercises. The second week input sessions focus on a range of current methodologies in practice and are a blend of lecture format and practical activities.
- Increased fluency and confidence in using English language
- Participation in language learning classes delivered by teachers trained in integrating technology in classroom practice
- Increased awareness of current approaches to language teaching and the possibilities of exploiting easily available texts as a language teaching resource
- Increased confidence in using a range of approaches to enhance language teaching
- Greater understanding of students’ needs
- Sharing of experience with professionals from a range of European countries
- Increased knowledge of Irish history and culture
- Knowledge of Erasmus+ potential for professional development
This 2-week course consisting of 53 classroom contact hours plus an afternoon trainer-led cultural programme designed to increase awareness of the wealth of locally available resources which can be incorporated into classroom teaching activities.
On the final day of the course, the participants engage in a reflection session in which they are encouraged to examine benefits gained from the course and complete a course evaluation form. Participants are encouraged to keep contact via email and private social networking. Regular follow-up contact is made with the participants after completion of the course. Trainers are available for follow-up advice and support at all times.