Foreign Teachers of English Course
Our two-week intensive Foreign Teachers of English (FTE) course enables teachers who already have some experience to gain greater in-depth knowledge of the job and discover the latest teaching techniques.
We want your course to combine the best of both worlds: a chance to brush up your English and discover some new teaching methods and materials for your classes, and have a memorable holiday. The main aims are:
- To explore methodologies for making teaching more interactive
- To focus on different ways of promoting effective learning
- To demonstrate a range of fun, effective classroom activities
- To brush up your idiomatic, natural English
- To help you discover new aspects of British culture to enrich your teaching
The FTE course is practical, informative and fun. Typical sessions include:
- Practical phonology teaching
- Teaching the four skills effectively
- Using technology for learning
- Exploiting newspapers, magazines and other authentic materials
- Creative grammar activities
- Vocabulary activities that promote fluency
- Using dictionaries as a resource, not a reference
- Exploiting classroom projects
- Using games and warm-ups to promote group dynamics
- Expanding your repertoire of homework activities
- Reflecting on and developing teaching techniques
- Getting more from your course books
- Creating posters and display work
- Aspects of contemporary life and culture
To complement our sessions, we’ll also give you descriptions of other teaching activities for you to take away and use in your own classroom.
The Foreign Teachers of English course lasts two weeks. Each week will give you a minimum of 21 hours of classroom tuition.
Sessions can include practical activities, discussions, observations of our expert teachers, pair work, role-play, mini-presentations and more. The activities are designed to be useful for teachers of adults and under-18s ‒ and they are also good for your English! There is a maximum of 15 participants per course.
During the FTE course you have full use of our facilities, including:
- Our teachers' library
- Free Wifi internet
- The study room, stocked with practice materials
- The students' room
In addition, you will be able to sign up for social programme events with other students. These will help you discover the city of Bristol and its resources with visits and excursions. On Saturdays, we have a full-day trip to a local place of interest, giving you the chance to practise your English.