Description of Course Contents
The Professional Development Course for Teachers of English aims to meet teachers’ professional needs in all aspects of English language teaching. Teachers complete a needs analysis questionnaire which helps our highly qualified team of teacher trainers to design the programme to suit their objectives and interests. The course provides a balanced programme of methodology, classroom resourcing, current theory, cultural exposure and language enrichment. As a teacher of English, one can expect a challenging learning experience which updates and refreshes your teaching. The course is practical and provides teachers with new activities, new skills and new techniques.
Refresher courses are designed for non-native teachers of English (Primary and Secondary Teachers) who wish to improve their professional skills and English language competence.
The maximum class size is 15 participants.
Aims of course
• Language Awareness and Analysis
• Classroom Management and Lesson Planning
• Developing Reading, Listening, Writing, Speaking and Vocabulary Skills and Strategies
• Current Issues in Methodology, Materials Evaluation and Development
• Use of Authentic Material, Games and Technology in the classroom
1. Orientation, Find Someone who...Warmers & Icebreakers, The Role of the Teacher, Teaching EFL to Children & Adults, What makes a good language learner
2. Walking Tour of Cork City & Elizabeth Fort
Lesson Planning, Classroom Management, Modern Approaches & Methods, Overview Of Teaching Basic communication, Experimental Learning Cycle & Lexical Approach teaching Vocabulary, Teacher Development
1. Developing Pronunciation & Intonation, Motivating Children & Adults to learn English, Classroom language, Pre-Teaching & Concept checking, Video & DVD, Pair Work/Group Work, Roleplay
2. Visit to Cork City Gaol & Museum
Teaching Grammar with fun learning games, focus on writing, developing listening skills, Micro teaching, language consolidation, Teaching writing skills
How to teach English, Video Techniques websites & resources, how to use the internet, dealing with discipline, error correction including video clips, teaching listening skills, Slang & Idioms
1. Learner Motivation, Self access Centre, How to concept check effectively, Observation skills, Young learners Culture & language, Teaching multi-level classes
2. Seminar: Questions on Ireland
Humour in the classroom, Speaking skills - How to get teenagers talking, How to create a good atmosphere in Class, The future in ELT
Micro teaching/Observation, Using flashcards, pronunciation/Intonation/Stress/Tongue Twisters
1. ESL Teaching & Learning methods, special interests, Benefits of using drama in the classroom
2. Cobh Heritage Centre / Irish life & Culture
Strategic competence, testing and evaluation, Course Planning, Personalising language learning & Language Review
Our team of dedicated teacher trainers focuses on practical ideas and techniques in the language classroom and participants are given the opportunity to thoroughly examine developments in language teaching. Participants are also introduced to Irish Life and Culture through a series of lectures, visits and excursions.
1) Timetable: Monday – Friday + 2 Cultural afternoons
2) Hours per week: 20 tuition hours + 2 cultural afternoons
3) Group size: 8 – 10 (Maximum 15)
IT'S POSSIBLE TO BOOK ONLY ONE WEEK (FIRST WEEK OF A TWO-WEEK COURSE).
Przykładowe zajęcia dodatkowe:
bilard *, bowling *, ice scating *, paintball *
cinema afternoon/evening *, city tour/walk, conversation practice, country walk/trekking, cultural events and festivals, dance lessons/workshops, drama workshops, film evenings, guided city tours *, guided museum tours *, international evenings, karaoke *, laser quest *, live music / music nights *, museum visits, orientation tour, pub and restaurant evenings, sightseeng, theatre or cinema visit *, theme workshops, visit to a brewery *, walking tour, klub książki, wyścigi psów *
West Cork *, Kerry *, Cork Harbour *, Whale Wathing Trip *
* zajęcia dodatkowo płatne