This 1 week course introduces you to the principles of CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning) and analyses CLIL teaching techniques, including practical ways of integrating CLIL into a classroom teaching environment. During this course, teachers will look at the 5 Cs of CLIL, scaffolding for learners, multimodality, assessment, and teaching aids in CLIL.
The course is aimed at those in-service teachers in the primary, secondary and vocational sectors who are working with CLIL, or are about to apply CLIL in their teaching methodology.
The main aim of this course is to explore the dimensions and approach of CLIL teaching. During this one-week course the 5 Cs of CLIL will be presented, explored and discussed, leading to the design of a lesson. Other areas such as cognition and thinking skills, scaffolding, multimodality and using aids for teaching CLIL will be introduced, Assessment will also be examined on this course.
You will have ample opportunity to try out all of these tools as all our courses are designed to be hands-on and practical. You will be expected to take an active role in all sessions, maximising your use of English, and collaborating together with your fellow trainees to create your own resources.
During our group discussions, you will have the opportunity to share CLIL activities that you have created, and also to provide feedback to each other.
You will be asked to reflect upon the training received and you will come up with a Personal Development Action Plan, selecting tools and activities you would like to try out in your own classes.
After registration, partcipants on this course programme will receive:
- A pre-course questionnaire which will enable trainers to learn about the participants' teaching backgrounds
- Information about the Europass Mobility Certificate
- A recommended reading list to prepare participants for various aspects of the course
- Information about Malta to prepare teachers for their cultural experience
- To explore the dimensions of CLIL and get an overview of the application of this discipline
- To review practical areas such as the 5 Cs of CLIL, cognition and thinking skills, scaffolding and assessment for CLIL
- To enable teachers to design dual-purpose learning materials
- To experience the cultural heritage of Malta with its bilingual linguistic environment
- This course is taught interactively, with input sessions and collaborative work, both as pair and group project work.
- The theory underpinning CLIL is discussed and each of the 5 Cs addressed and explored thoroughly.
- Assessment is discussed and participants will set up their own assessment grids.
- CLIL Methodology is explored, analysed and discussed, developing the participants’ use of their communication skills in English.
- Teachers are asked to reflect on the activities, inviting discussion with regard to their own knowledge and skills, their approach to teaching today’s students, and on adaptation of the course materials to their teaching and learning situations and contexts.
- Exchange of participants’ CLIL experiences and pedagogical knowledge is encouraged through networking and discussion.
- Participants’ own language skills are developed and feedback given where appropriate.
- Participants are also introduced to appropriate websites related to the further development of their teaching skills and personal professional development.
- The course ends with an evaluation session, where teachers are asked to reflect upon the value of the knowledge gained on the course.
- They are also encouraged in this session to come up with a Personal Development Action Plan, and select activities which they would like to try out in their own classes or projects.
- They are invited to join the Teacher Training Facebook community, which allows networking and contact with the trainers and fellow colleagues, and with participants from other courses.
- Participants are also encouraged to join communities for the current POOLS Projects, and other school-related EU Projects, such as METHODS (Communicative Language Teaching Methods), TOOLS, and CLIL4U.
- In addition, participants are given a post-course 3 month subscription to e-Learning online site to further develop their language knowledge and skills.
Przykładowe zajęcia dodatkowe:
diving *, golf *, mountain hiking
boat cruises *, city tour/walk, conversation practice, country walk/trekking, cultural activities, guided city tours, international evenings, orientation tour, pub and restaurant evenings, sightseeng
Valetta *, Megalithic temples *, Hypogeum Temple *, Mdina *, The Three Cities *, Blue Grotto *, Marsaxlokk *, Gozo *
* zajęcia dodatkowo płatne