The course is designed to help overseas teachers learn mindfulness and emotional intelligence for their own wellbeing and to apply in the classroom with their students. This very practical course aims to provide participants with lots of ideas to help them reflect on and develop their current teaching practice by looking at:
- Their own wellbeing and motivation as teaching professionals.
- Their intrapersonal and interpersonal skills.
- How they can improve the classroom environment and learningoutcomes.
- Ways of teaching social emotional learning through a second language.
- Creative ideas to use video, song and texts in the classroom for specific purposes.
- Ways of incorporating mindfulness and emotional intelligence into primary, secondary and tertiary education.
Each of the 3 daily sessions focuses on different aspects of applying and developing mindfulness and emotional intelligence in the educational context. The first, through personal development. The second from a general perspective and theoretical baseline and the third applied to particular fields of interest.
The course content is taught using CLIL methodology to enhance both language and content Learning. The morning practical session is based on standard mindfulness training programmes and encourages participantsto develop their own mindfulness practice and familiarise themselves with the theory behind mindfulness and emotional intelligence. Input will be provided in a variety of ways (meditations, group, pair and individual work using a variety of audiovisual material and authentic texts) that take account of the course participants’ different learning preferences and styles. Participants will be encouraged to share their own ideas and experienceand reflect on their own practice by keeping an “emotional and thoughtful” diary. Furthermore, they will be able to develop networks with participants from other countries. There will be opportunities throughout the course to develop participants English language skills and to exploit the UK context and the facilities and services offered by school.
A preparation pack is sent to participants on enrolment. Before the start of the course, participants should complete apre-course questionnaire which will enable the course leaders to focus more specifically on the exact needs of the participants - the timetable (below), therefore, shows a sample programme for this course.
Participants will complete a journal during their stay to reflect on the new ideas they have experienced and on how they will incorporate them into their teaching. They also develop a classroom project. Follow up support is available via an alumni email group and participants will be encouraged to report on their progress. A course VLE will be set up for participants to collaborate and share online.
- Improved English language skills
- Improved confidenceand concentrationin class
- Deeper sensitivity to own and student needs
- Knowledge of how mindfulness and social emotional learning is being implemented
- Strategies, skills and activities for teaching
- Better knowledge of Erasmus+ potential for your own and others’ professional development
- Enhanced classroom methodological practice
- Improving students’ motivationand wellbeing
- Interpersonal skills and teamwork
- Better awareness of learning needs, difficulties + behaviour
1) Monday: Briefing, orientation / Your teaching context / Warmers, fillers and team builders
2) Tuesday: Mindfulness and emotional intelligence - practical session 1 based on standard training programmes for teachers / Mindfulness and education: Experiences in the UK, Spain and USA / Mindfulness and emotional intelligence in primary education
3) Wednesday: Mindfulness and emotional intelligence - practical session 2 / Creative and Critical thinking / Puzzling it out mindfully: your teaching puzzles
4) Thursday: Mindfulness and emotional intelligence - practical session 3 / Cognition: how mindfulness and emotions influence learning / Mindfulness and emotional intelligence in secondary and tertiary education
5) Friday: Mindfulness and emotional intelligence - practical session 4 / Teacher wellbeing / Mindful Excursion to contact with nature
*** Weekend excursions available (additional fees)
6) Monday: Mindfulness and emotional intelligence - practical session 5 / Compassion and empathy in the classroom / Available resources and review of literature; building mindfulness into your personal and professional life
7) Tuesday: Mindfulness and emotional intelligence - practical session 6 / Mindfulness and Multiple Intelligence theory / Creating your own project
8) Wednesday: Mindfulness and emotional intelligence - practical session 7 / Mindfulness and language learning. An experience in CLIL / Creating your own project
9) Thursday: Mindfulness and emotional intelligence - practical session 8 / Growing together as a school community: pupils, teachers, administrators, parents / Project sharing session
10) Friday: Feedback / Exhibition, rounding off and certificate ceremony / Networking: farewell afternoon tea