A 1 week ERASMUS+ Teacher Training Course about Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD): Supporting students
The growing prevalence of students with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and/or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) poses challenges for all teachers. The very tasks these students find the most difficult – e.g. concentrating, coping with change, understanding multiple perspectives, sustaining attention to tasks – are the ones they are required to do all day long in every classroom environment. Students with ASD may need support making sense of the world and how to participate in it while students with ADHD can be energetic, creative, innovative problem solvers that need support in managing hyperactivity, impulsivity and inattention.
This highly interactive teacher training course provides a solid introduction to the challenges of Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and/or Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in education and offers suggestions on how to adapt effective educational techniques to fit these learning differences.
Through presentations, small group discussions and case study discussion participants will be able to:
- Recognize and understand the traits and learning styles of students with ASD and/or ADHD;
- Apply specific teaching methods, classroom strategies and techniques (e.g. task analysis, visual prompts, social stories);
- Become familiar with the fundamental core strategies of the TEACCH approach, the basic principles of PECS and Makaton signs and symbols;
- Create meaningful and individualized visual structures/supports for students with ASD;
- Develop school-based interventions (e.g. classroom management techniques and accommodations) for students with ASD and/or ADHD;
- Promote social interaction among all students;
- Collaborate with parents and build home-school partnerships.
- Teachers (primary, secondary, vocational, adult, special needs);
- Teacher trainers;
- Careers officers;
- Headteachers and principals.
1) Activities included: the course includes at least one city guided tour and one full day excursion.
2) Lessons are from Monday to Saturday (excursion on Saturday)
2) Class Schedule: class activities will take place in Morning (9 – 13:45) or in the Afternoon (14:00 – 18:45).